[SOLVED]COMM ports

This forum is dedicated to the author Joe Pardue as he teaches you about AVR C Programming in his workshop series.

Moderator: joepardue

dalepf

[SOLVED]COMM ports

Post by dalepf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:13 am

I am not a computer guru so please bear with me. I have had no trouble with the COMM port and Arduino UNO until now. My computer is an older Dell GX260 desk top with XP Pro software. It is not on line. When I started learning Arduino I had the 1.0.3 IDE, and the port was COMM3. Life was good. I need to upgrade the IDE, so I installed 1.0.6, which was my undoing. The device manager says Arduino is now on COMM4, COMM3 is not an option, and I cannot download anything to the Arduino UNO board.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1.0.6 as well as dropping down to 1.0.5 with no success. I tried both included drivers, Arduino UNO and Arduino UNO r3.
Any appropriate suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you. dalepf

cae2100

Re: COMM ports

Post by cae2100 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:56 pm

try going into device manager and see if the drivers are correct when you plug in the arduino. to get to device manager, the easiest way is to right click on my computer and click manage, then go to device manager. If it's not showing up at all in the arduino software, then it's most likely a problem with either the drivers not being right or something.

dalepf

Post by dalepf » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:46 pm

I tried that tip, and it showed the ARDUINO UNO driver, which I believe is the proper one, or at least the one I was using before.

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:51 am

yea, the driver is there, but does the device have a yellow exclamation mark or a red icon on the device? If so, it might be picked up on the computer but not installed correctly for the drivers. Just click update drivers and have it choose it's own driver, it might fix it or point it to the arduino folder when choosing your own driver. There should be drivers there somewhere in the arduino folder.

Another thing that I can think of is if the arduino software not finding it even tho the driver is correctly installed, there might have been a problem in the arduino software with the one library for java called librxtx. The probability of that being the issue is very very low on a windows system.

dalepf

Re: [SOLVED]COMM ports

Post by dalepf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:04 am

In the back of my mind I vaguely remembered something, 'Do not use a USB hub when setting up the Arduino'. I took my USB cable from the hub and plugged it into the front of the PC and everything started working OK. Not sure why this works, but I am not going to fight it :smile: My old Arduino UNO is on COM4 and a new Arduino UNO is on COM8. I guess I had been using the hub for so long that I forgot about not using it when setting things up. Thank you for your advice.