Frustration Getting Code since switched from nutsvolts site

This forum is dedicated to the author Joe Pardue as he teaches you about AVR C Programming in his workshop series.

Moderator: joepardue

jerryfe

Frustration Getting Code since switched from nutsvolts site

Post by jerryfe » Wed May 16, 2012 1:19 pm

2012-05-16

Dear Mr. Smiley

I am expressing frustration at locating all the code for your last fifteen or so articles.

At one point, I got it by downloading from the magazine directly.

At another point, I got it from your site.

The last year and a half or so ( I believe I expressed some concern to you via avrfreaks)
I have really not been able to get it.

Please devote one entire article with explicit examples on how to get the code with all details.

Although I do believe it is possible it is much more complicated than understanding pointers
as you explained them in your last articles. I am beinning to get discouraged after hours
and hours of various attempts (with some success). I have bought a few of your books
and projects previously and have enjoyed them but am now terrified at anything you write
because I know that getting the code will turn into a really wasted several hours.

Please go back , go back, for your sake (others must be frustrated but don't express it) as
we as your readers sake to a SIPMPLE point and click method either your site or nuts and
volts.

You have spend considerable effort with the avrtoolbox etx. What a shame it is from my
viewpoint a waste of time BECAUSE O AM UNABLE TO ACCESS THE CODE.

I really do like and admire you as an author (You get an A Plus There). I give you an
absolute failure grade on your code distribution method.

joepardue

Re: Frustration Getting Code since switched from nutsvolts s

Post by joepardue » Wed May 16, 2012 7:08 pm

I'm sorry for your wasted time and frustration. I said in an earlier post:
You aren't the first person to have trouble with this and I'm thinking I need to have a more direct route for the Workshop code like I used to have. I'll give it some thought.
And I am aware of the problem. This will take some time to straighten out since I need to maintain the avrtoolbox process and also extract the code into a more accessible form. I guess the best way to do this is to do like I used to and put all the code for each article into a zip file that can be downloaded from a single page on my website. I'll start to work on that tomorrow and work backwards through earlier workshops as I can find the time.

Again, sorry for the frustration and inconvenience.

Joe

jerryfe

Post by jerryfe » Thu May 17, 2012 4:43 pm

2012-05-17

I do thank you for your reply.

I think that this would be a great assistance to many of your readers and would certainly
be a great assistance to myself.

Looking forward to the results.

Thank you

Jerryfe

joepardue

Post by joepardue » Fri May 18, 2012 12:43 pm

I hunted down all the source code and the Eagle files for Nuts&Volts March April May June 2012 Workshops 44, 45, 46, 47 and posted a link in the downloads page at:
http://www.smileymicros.com/index.php?m ... on=144:144
Or more directly at:
http://www.smileymicros.com/download/N& ... e_2012.zip

This doesn't cover the Workshops from 35 to 43, but that will take more time.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Joe

jerryfe

Post by jerryfe » Tue May 22, 2012 8:54 am

2012-05-22

I do thank you for your work.

I will download the material you mentioned later today.

It really is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am back to referencing your "Virtual Serial Port Cookbook" which I have read
a few times. While reading a book put out by Elektor Magazine ("Universal Display Book for
Micro Controllers") I came across an excellent example of showing the ASCII code for
received RS232 single characters on two 7 Segment Displays. This is a "checker tool project"
of some form but the "bit-bang rs232 code" was interesting and so using "Smiley's BBUSB"
would allow me to do my own version using "The Developer Terminal" or "Simple Terminal".

I only mention this because I do so appreciate your books, "An Arduino Workshop" and
"C Programming" along with parts only await the time to read them (Purchased a year or
two ago).

Again, thank you for your GREAT BOOKS and ARTICLES and now thanks to your
efforts I will get the code parts back again.

Thank you,

joepardue

Post by joepardue » Tue May 22, 2012 11:15 am

You are very welcome and thinks for the kind words.

Joe