October 2011 - Whatever Happened to Citizens Band Radio?

Forum dedicated to the articles of Lou Frenzel. Lou has 25+ years experience as an engineer and is a former college professor. He is author of 20 books on electronics, served as VP of HEATHKIT, is a long-time ham (W5LEF) and began writing for Nuts and Volts in 2004. In this forum, you can post questions about his articles, discuss electronic communications, wireless and ham radio.

Moderator: LouisFrenzel

CeaSaR

October 2011 - Whatever Happened to Citizens Band Radio?

Post by CeaSaR » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:56 am

Wow, that takes me back quite a few years to when I was an avid user. I had one
in the car and a second mobile unit set up as a base. That 2nd floor window antenna
(gutter mount mobile unit screwed to the windowsill) would get me out to 15 or 20 miles
on a regular night - more than enough to talk to the other characters out there. Seems
that around 10 pm was the default time for the gang. I used to use it all the time on the
road, especially cross country trips. It was great for road updates, places to pull off for
a rest, 10-100's, 10-73's, etc.,etc.

A comprehensive 10-code list can be found at wearecb.com and is something any hack
worth his salt should know.

Hmm, maybe I'll get the portables out and see what's out there... I can't use any of the
old mobiles until I get a mag-mount antenna. Cars just don't come with drip rails anymore.
Makes me want to go get that old '71 Dart I saw, maybe even the '64 Corvair...

Thanks for the memory jog, I'm clear.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?

Lenp

Re: October 2011 - Whatever Happened to Citizens Band Radio?

Post by Lenp » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:55 pm

It's odd that CB has slid into the background since it was really an early 'Social Network' much like Face Book and all the others.

It would certainly seem that in the era of 'LOOK AT ME ..LOOK AT YOU' and all the (excuse the term) crappo that gets posted online ,it would have been resurrected. Sure GMRS, FRS and Cell phones are dominant communications means today, but can you talk to a stranger, ask for traffic info or directions or hide behind your handle when you flirt, or express your mindless rantings? No and No again!

Gee, I hope the new generation doesn't try to reinvent their own form of CB, maybe even cleverly calling it CB for Cellphone Band. They could start cellphone dialing at random just to see who answers.... Kind of like Breaker...Breaker, or for the hams, CQ...CQ WOW! A new phone APP has been born... A random number dialer!

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)

LouisFrenzel

Post by LouisFrenzel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for your comments guys. I love the random number dialer app idea. Someone get to work on that.
Lou

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Talk about timing. I just answered a post about CB use on another site.
I referenced your article, so hopefully there will be at least 1 new reader/subscriber.
And maybe, just maybe, this will be the beginning of a resurgence in CBers.

I'm clear,
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 pm

i used to be big into CB also. used to have a lot of collector radios also..
President Washington, upper and lower sideband with upper and lower channels. ( base )
President AR-144 ( mobile )
an old browning base radio. D-104 lollipop with neck grip and base lever.
also had a white faced johnson base.
and a johnson black faced 23 ch mobile.
but anyway i got fed up with CB several years ago and sold all my stuff.
1st of all there was so many idiots / drunks / rednecks that were only on to start trouble,
they would use foul language, use high power amplifiers 2kw+ to key down on you when your trying to have a conversation with someone, and to make it worse, they would follow you around the channel
just to be annoying..or they would bleed all over all the channels.. it just got to where it was not fun to be on it any more..
also last time i tried to listen to the band. all you seem to hear now is all mexicans. on all channels
i now call it mexican-telecom...lol barely can hear the truckers anymore. and state troopers used to monitor 9 and 19. i think they don't any more.