It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: BalloonSat Dissertation
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:59 am 

This week I'm mailing out the BalloonSat kits I created for my dissertation. At this moment, over 400 students in Canada and the United States are going to build BalloonSats starting in January. During spring break I'll launch their BalloonSats to an expected altitude of 80,000 feet. Students will get their BalloonSats back and have two weeks to download their data and analyze the results. I will use this experience to measure changes in attitude towards science (according to the definition laid out by Leopold Klopfer in 1971).

If this is as successful as I think it will be, I plan to develop a yearly BalloonSat activity. To get that many BalloonSats launched every spring, I'll be looking for near space groups across the country. If you are thinking or planning to start your own near space program, keep in contact with me. This could be another justification for starting such a program and a way to help science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education across the country.

Onwards and Upwards
Hey, that's a good name for the activity!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: BalloonSat Dissertation
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 am 

Kits to all but two classrooms have gone out. That's going to be 31 student teams (over 400 students) making BalloonSats this spring.

I plan to launch all of them under four weather balloons over spring break. I'll post the tracking website in March.

Onwards and Upwards

Profile Send private message  

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]